You’ve probably heard that masturbation can drain your testosterone levels, dampen your drive to work out, and decrease muscle growth.
This idea that masturbation (or more specifically, ejaculation) hinders muscle building and athletic performance goes all the way back to ancient Greek and Roman times, when athletes would refrain from sex before athletic contests.
It turns out this idea still persists among many modern athletes.
As former heavyweight boxing champion David Haye said, “I don’t ejaculate for six weeks before the fight. No sex, no masturbation, no nothing. It releases too much tension. It releases a lot of minerals and nutrients that your body needs, and it releases them cheaply.”
Hmm . . . sounds an awful lot like an international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Perhaps he’s right. But what does the scientific literature say?
Does masturbating interfere with your gains or your athletic performance?
The short answer is no, it doesn’t, unless you masturbate immediately before working out.
The long answer is studies show masturbation and sex have a variety of effects on the body and can impact your testosterone levels in the short term, but they’re highly unlikely to affect muscle growth.
So, if you want to live a longer, healthier life while avoiding disease and optimizing your brain, listen to this episode!
Lastly, if you want to support the show, please drop a quick review of it over on iTunes. It really helps!
Mentioned on The Show:
What did you think of this episode? Have anything else to share? Let me know in the comments below!
+ Scientific References
- Negash S, Sheppard NVN, Lambert NM, Fincham FD. Trading Later Rewards for Current Pleasure: Pornography Consumption and Delay Discounting. J Sex Res. 2016;53(6):689-700. doi:10.1080/00224499.2015.1025123
- Love T, Laier C, Brand M, Hatch L, Hajela R. Neuroscience of internet pornography addiction: A review and update. Behav Sci (Basel). 2015;5(3):388-433. doi:10.3390/bs5030388
- Kühn S, Gallinat J. Neurobiological Basis of Hypersexuality. In: International Review of Neurobiology. Vol 129. Academic Press Inc.; 2016:67-83. doi:10.1016/bs.irn.2016.04.002
- Kraus SW, Voon V, Potenza MN. Should compulsive sexual behavior be considered an addiction? Addiction. 2016;111(12):2097-2106. doi:10.1111/add.13297
- Dwulit AD, Rzymski P. Prevalence, patterns and self-perceived effects of pornography consumption in polish university students: A cross-sectional study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(10). doi:10.3390/ijerph16101861
- Mah CD, Mah KE, Kezirian EJ, Dement WC. The Effects of Sleep Extension on the Athletic Performance of Collegiate Basketball Players. Sleep. 2011;34(7):943-950. doi:10.5665/sleep.1132
- Stefani L, Galanti G, Padulo J, Bragazzi NL, Maffulli N. Sexual activity before sports competition: A systematic review. Front Physiol. 2016;7(JUN). doi:10.3389/fphys.2016.00246
- Brody S, Krüger THC. The post-orgasmic prolactin increase following intercourse is greater than following masturbation and suggests greater satiety. 2005. doi:10.1016/j.biopsycho.2005.06.008
- Krüger THC, Hartmann U, Schedlowski M. Prolactinergic and dopaminergic mechanisms underlying sexual arousal and orgasm in humans. World J Urol. 2005;23(2):130-138. doi:10.1007/s00345-004-0496-7
- Krüger T, Exton MS, Pawlak C, Mühlen AV Zur, Hartmann U, Schedlowski M. Neuroendocrine and cardiovascular response to sexual arousal and orgasm in men. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1998;23(4):401-411. doi:10.1016/S0306-4530(98)00007-9
- Fundamentals of glycogen metabolism for coaches and athletes. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6019055/. Accessed February 26, 2020.
- The Compendium of Physical Activities Tracking Guide KEY. http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf. Accessed February 26, 2020.
- Malhotra D, Narula R, Zutshi K, Kapoor G, Aslam B, Tech M. Effect of Time of Day and Concentric or Eccentric Strength Training on Muscle Strength. Indian J Physiother Occup Ther. 8(1). doi:10.5958/j.0973-5674.8.1.026
- Küüsmaa M, Schumann M, Sedliak M, et al. Effects of morning versus evening combined strength and endurance training on physical performance, muscle hypertrophy, and serum hormone concentrations. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016;41(12):1285-1294. doi:10.1139/apnm-2016-0271
- Raff H, Sluss PM. Pre-analytical issues for testosterone and estradiol assays. Steroids. 2008;73(13):1297-1304. doi:10.1016/j.steroids.2008.05.005
- Brambilla DJ, Matsumoto AM, Araujo AB, McKinlay JB. The effect of diurnal variation on clinical measurement of serum testosterone and other sex hormone levels in men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94(3):907-913. doi:10.1210/jc.2008-1902
- West DWD, Phillips SM. Associations of exercise-induced hormone profiles and gains in strength and hypertrophy in a large cohort after weight training. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2012;112(7):2693-2702. doi:10.1007/s00421-011-2246-z
- Storer TW, Magliano L, Woodhouse L, et al. Testosterone dose-dependently increases maximal voluntary strength and leg power, but does not affect fatigability or specific tension. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88(4):1478-1485. doi:10.1210/jc.2002-021231
- Jannini EA, Screponi E, Carosa E, et al. Lack of sexual activity from erectile dysfunction is associated with a reversible reduction in serum testosterone. Int J Androl. 1999;22(6):385-392. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2605.1999.00196.x
- Fox CA, Ismail AA, Love DN, Kirkham KE, Loraine JA. Studies on the relationship between plasma testosterone levels and human sexual activity. J Endocrinol. 1972;52(1):51-58. doi:10.1677/joe.0.0520051
- Jiang M, Xin J, Zou Q, Shen JW. A research on the relationship between ejaculation and serum testosterone level in men. J Zhejiang Univ Sci. 2003;4(2):236-240. doi:10.1631/jzus.2003.0236
- Exton MS, Krüger THC, Bursch N, et al. Endocrine response to masturbation-induced orgasm in healthy men following a 3-week sexual abstinence. World J Urol. 2001;19(5):377-382. doi:10.1007/s003450100222
- Kravitz RL. Direct-to-consumer advertising of androgen replacement therapy. JAMA - J Am Med Assoc. 2017;317(11):1124-1125. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.1364
- Testosterone: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003707.htm. Accessed February 26, 2020.
- Bhasin S, Storer TW, Berman N, et al. The Effects of Supraphysiologic Doses of Testosterone on Muscle Size and Strength in Normal Men. N Engl J Med. 1996;335(1):1-7. doi:10.1056/NEJM199607043350101
- Rajfer J. Relationship between testosterone and erectile dysfunction. Rev Urol. 2000;2(2):122-128. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16985751. Accessed February 26, 2020.
- Miranda BH, Miranda MR, Tobin DJ, Sharpe DT, Randall VA. Androgens trigger different growth responses in genetically identical human hair follicles in organ culture that reflect their epigenetic diversity in life. FASEB J. 2018;32(2):795-806. doi:10.1096/fj.201700260RR